Any enthusiast running boost, nitrous or high RPMs is aware of the trade-offs associated with inductive coils versus converting to a capacitive-type discharge ignition system (CDI). The typical argument is that inductive coils deliver a long spark duration with simplicity, but not enough energy to light off the combustion chamber of a modified high-performance vehicle. In contrast, CDIs deliver intense energy but with practically no spark duration, making the proper mixture in the combustion chamber critical for best performance. This tradeoff ends with AEM’s High-Output “Dumb” Inductive Coils, the first inductive coils that deliver CDI-like spark energy and voltage, and the long spark duration necessary for vehicles running forced induction and nitrous.
- CDI-like spark energy without the need for a CDI
- Less expensive than aftermarket LS1 coils
- Robust construction allows them to be mounted almost anywhere
- Available for vehicles with external igniters
- Massive Spark Energy, up to 118 mJ!
- Incredibly long spark duration, up to 3.2mS!
- Up to 41kV Output Voltage, without a CDI!
- Heavy-duty, weatherproof and shockproof design
- Can be installed directly to engine
- Primary Resistance: 0.5 Ω +/- 10%
- Primary Inductance: 4.8 mH +/- 15%
- Secondary Resistance: 8.5 kΩ +/- 20%v
- Secondary Inductance: 22.5 H +/- 20%
- Output (50pF load): 41 kV +/- 10%
- Output Energy: 118 mJ +/- 7%
- Peak Secondary Current: 100 mA +/- 7%
- Arc Duration: 3.2 mS +/- 10%
- Turns Ratio 71:1v
- Maximum Battery Voltage: 17 Volts
- Base Dwell: 3.0 mS
- Max Continuous Dwell: 9 mS but don’t exceed 40% duty cycle
- Max Intermittent Dwell: 80% duty cycle, 5 seconds maximum
- Mating Connector: Packard/Delphi 12162182 “Pull to Seat”
- Mating Contacts: Packard/Delphi 12124075 “Pull to Seat”
- High Tension Wire Terminal: HEI “spark plug top” Style